Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Love Story

Once upon a time there was a very special couple. They met when he was serving in WWII. After they married they lost everything they owned in house fire a few days before their first child was born. He became a pastor and they had 11 children. Through the years three of their children died, one at 3 yrs old, one at 7 years old and one at 39. As the years passed their love for each other and their love for Christ grew until they were completely meshed together. When he was in the hospital for 30+ days she only went home to sleep. Each time they said goodbye they kissed tenderly. They have watched their children, grandchildren and great grand-children grow up and last year welcomed their first great-great grandchild. Through all the tears and years they have never wavered in a lifetime commitment to love and honor the other in sickness and in health, for richer for poorer until death parts them. Tonight I had the privilege of sitting next to them for a few hours while he went through the 2nd day of kidney dialysis, while she sat "loving" him from a hard office chair, smoothing his blanket and worrying that he was too cold.

This July they will celebrate 65 years of marriage, and not just any marriage, but a marriage built on mutual love and respect, faith, and joy in serving others.

I am proud to call them my parents and never stop thanking God for giving me the best example of love I've ever known.


5 comments:

  1. Such a charming (old) photo; I was thrilled to see it. I can see your dad over and over again in the kids and grand-kids...but not sure whether I see any of you in your mom? Although through the years I have to say that of all the kids, you Karen, remind me the most of your mom. Your mannerism: the way you walk, talk and carry yourself are SO like your mom ...both of you are so dignified and ladylike. I've really enjoyed getting to know you better through your blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and have changed my settings so if you don't have an account you can still comment, but please let me know who you are by initials or name:)