Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pointing straight to Heaven

(Tumalo Church, Tumalo OR)

One of my long time passions has been photographing old country churches. The thing I love most about these is that they have a distinct difference from any of the "new"churches that

(Venersburg Church, Venersburg WA)

are so common today... they point straight to Heaven with the peak of their steeples and often have a cross crowning the top.


(Church in Bend OR)

I wonder what happened in the intervening years? Did people try so hard to get away from "religion" and "dogma" that they thought a church shouldn't look like a church? I get a sad feeling everytime I pass one of these monuments to a simpler faith and hope that they won't all be torn down in the next 50 years. Thats why I want to preserve them in my memory and through a photo. I may someday have to explain to my grandchildren what these pictures are and why they point straight to Heaven.



1 comment:

  1. I love these pics! I have one similiar that I took in Michigan with the sunshine rays on the cross of the steeple. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and have changed my settings so if you don't have an account you can still comment, but please let me know who you are by initials or name:)