Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Literary Walk Through England

To motivate myself to walk in this next year
I am using an idea I saw (somewhere:)
where you keep track of your miles by 
"walking" from town to town on a map.
In other words I am not going to England
Unfortunately!!
I will just be walking around here with my goals
to be areas of England in which some of my all
time favorite authors lived and wrote.
I will be adding in some pics of places on my route
and quotes from my favorite books etc.
I began in Jane Austen Country,
Oxfordshire.

Basingstoke-Oakley Hall
to Steventon
7 miles
Oakley Hall is where Janes' friends, the Bramstons lived
and it is said she used it as a setting for Mansfield Park
and Lady Bramston as a model for Lady Bertram 
from the same book.

My favorite book of Jane's is
Persuasion
I love the heroine Anne Elliot
for the contrast she gives
 to the other women in the book.
 Anne quietly waits in the shadows
thinking the great love of her life will never come again.
Parted by family, war and money
her wait is rewarded finally when 
Captain Wentworth sees her for the true
steadfast person she has been
through it all.

Favorite quote
"All the privilege I claim for my own sex
(it is not an enviable one, you need not covet it) 
is that of loving longest, when existence 
or when hope is gone"


1 comment:

  1. That's a neat idea! I have heard that Richard S. has 'walked' around the world but I don't remember how many times he has. Clara

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and have changed my settings so if you don't have an account you can still comment, but please let me know who you are by initials or name:)